Sunday, November 9, 2008

road trip

At the risk of humiliating myself, I admit that I actually have home videos of myself passionately performing the tunes of the once famous Celine Dion. Yes, I did once know all lyrics to all of her songs, in particular those from her "Unison" debut album. She carressed the world with soft ballads that linger especially in nostaligic moments. So, not surprisingly, as I rode my bike across the Golden Gate Bridge and around the Gold Rush City, I began wondering, 'Where does my heart be now?' I had never seen anything so glorious. I had never instantly fallen in love with a city (well, with anything, for that matter). The world of San Fransisco snatched my soul, enlivening it once again with a vigorous tenacity for life, and I will forever remember that I did, in fact, leave my heart there.
The open-air feeling of a road trip is #1 on the uncontested "must experience" list. To drive along the West Coast, simultaneously marveling at and relishing in the sublime tranquility all around. When the road trip leads you to a wonder-world, a place where you are hands-on with history, walking the same streets as Robert Frost, Jack London, Mark Twain, and Charles Ginsburg, you will only remember the jaw-dropping sensation you couldn't shake. Eternally etched in your memory are the blissful moments spent discovering the city in a classic 1924 car, the fresh sourdough bread accompanied by a fresh cup of tea in the morning, the tranquil evenings spent enjoying the local eateries, the long walks through the world-famous metropolitan areas, or even the quaint, warm villages you browsed while driving along the coast. You remember that you once had a plan for your future, but now you can't help but wonder, 'Where does my heart beat now?' You've fallen in love with life once again, thanks to a whirlwind road trip.
I did leave my heart in San Fransisco, but I brought back home with me a new heart, once again full of energy and transformed into a powerhouse of passion. It is with this new passion that my heart will go on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to ride the Golden Gate Bridge with you!! We will take a road trip sometime soon! I Love You, Mom