Wednesday, November 12, 2008


"Consistency is the foundation of virtue," Sir Francis Bacon said. Swimming through my mind as I relax ocean side, this powerful phrase is once again making waves in my life. The process of creating a habit of success is neverending and always changing. With children around nearly every moment of every day, I toss myself into countless situations that are nothing more than chances to practice kindness and creativity in effort to train and mold the kids' character as well as mine. Distractions often arise, surrepticiously shadowing the light of consistency. For me, the challenge is to bridle my passionate attempts at perfection (not just for myself, but for these children as well) while letting loose a tactful tenderness. Nonetheless, the end result is always the same desire: virtue.

Let's not forget that the craving to be obeyed persistently attacks the effort to be virtuous, and I can only accredit the ability to overcome such sudden interferences to the emanation of His light in me. What is left from His light is a gracious heart and a bright smile, energizing and impacting those around me.

I am headed into the last month of my tenure here, and my love for these kids is evermore burgeoning. I cannot imagine how to appropriately say "thank you" with words or actions that actually articulate the gratitude overflowing from my soul. Each new venture I undertake is an unforgettable spotlight on the straight and narrow road on which I am travelling. I am revitalized with each new day, invigorated with hope for what is to come.

No comments: