Tuesday, November 25, 2008

change of heart

In an interesting conversation with a dear friend the other day, my heart was softened a bit more as she casually responded to my tales of world travel. I truly believe that the more elaborate my stories became (I was not embellishing but sharing with enthusiasm), the more simple her responses. After blabbering for nearly ten minutes, I stopped for a breath, and she said, "how interesting it will be for you to go home to your family this Christmas, knowing that they haven't traveled anywhere and that's okay." Cue: foot in mouth.

Until that moment, life, in my exclusive opinion, centered on travel, exploration, knowledge, and agressive excitement. My selfishness had kept me from understanding that although I throw myself into everything, I have no business imposing my life on anyone else. My life is no more important than the next one and I am responsible for getting involved with other people, not making them get involved with me.

Her words made me more excited to go home, more excited to be alive. To affect a mindset is one thing; to put it into action, another. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all the stories about your travels myself! Love you, Mom